West Belmar School Evacuated After Fire Alarm
All accounted for and no danger, officials say
West Belmar Elementary school students were evacuated for a short time Wednesday when a part of its heating system overloaded and failed, causing steam to trigger the fire alarm, officials said.
No students or staff were injured in the scare. The building was cleared for a short time while fire officials evaluated the building for safe occupancy. Students were returned to classrooms shortly thereafter, schools Superintendent Daniel Simon said.
Simon said a portion of the heating boiler in the school burst, causing steam, which then triggered the fire alarm.