Glad you clicked on our new Grab & Go Kids Planner!
We've assembled a weekly calendar of kid-friendly activities and new places to try out with children.
Each week, we'll give you the info on the five best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids’ planner each Monday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips — just add them to the comment box. Even if you disagree with our picks, let us know. We want to hear from you!
- Where/When: Wall Township Municipal Building, 2700 Allaire Road, Wall, NJ 07719, (732) 449-8444, ext. 251. April 18 and April 20, two sessions per day, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p,m. to 3 p.m. Spring Break Art Classes. Artist Debra Stasiak will emphasize brush strokes and teach children in grades 1 through 6 to paint their versions of masterpieces with acrylics and gels. April 18 will feature Vincent Van Gogh's “Wheat Field with Cypresses” in the morning and Claude Monet's “Regatta at Argentueil” in the afternoon. April 20 will feature Monet's “Impression Sunrise” in the morning and Paul Cezanne's “Apple and Biscuits” in the afternoon. Children should wear smocks or old play clothes.
- Why Go: A chance for children to be exposed to the old masters and express their artistic creativity.
- Pricing: $22 per session for residents, $27 per session for non residents. Mail check and session requested to Wall Township recreation department at the address above.
- Where/When: The museum is on the Brookdale Community College campus, 765 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, NJ 07738, (732) 747-2266. Monday - closed. Tuesday through Friday, 2 - 4:30 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; Sunday 1 - 5 p.m. Changing Climate : Changing Weather is a special exhibit currently open in the museum's Becker Children's Wing which is for children 6 to 12 years old. The exhibit, complete with interactive features, explores the related but unique sciences of climate and weather. This hands-on exhibition demonstrates how changes in our climate cause changes in our weather. The musuem also has Wonder Wing, a spacious playroom with and under-the-sea theme for younger children and after-school activities for students of different ages.
- Why Go: It's fun and educational.
- Where/When: 1761 Route 9, Toms River, NJ 08755, 732-349-7090. Tuesday - Saturday 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Open same hours on Mondays in July and August
- Why Go: Whether you are a bug enthusiast or just a curious visitor, Insectropolis has over a dozen exhibit areas that are sure to educate and entertain.
- Pricing: • Admission is $7 per visitor. Children 2 and under are free. Groups of 15 or more pay $5 per visitor.
- Where/When: 300 Ocean Avenue, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742. Monday - Friday: 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday - Sunday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Why Go: There are many exhibits to get you close to animals from around the world. There's even a touch tank that allows visitors to touch live sea creatures!
- Pricing: Adult - $10; Senior - $6; Child (3-12) - $6; Child (0-2) - FREE.
- Where/When: 331 Georgia Tavern Road, Howell 07731, (732) 751-9453. Open daily from 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and until 8:30 p.m. on Fridays only from Memorial Day until Labor Day.
- Why Go: The Environmental Center highlights the importance of water through interactive exhibits, multimedia presentations, educational activities for schools and community groups, and wildlife observation areas.
- Pricing: Free nature programs are offered on most weekends.