- Get a boost of Vitamin D. A study published in Nature
Immunology this year found that T-cells – your body’s major infection fighters – don’t mobilize against viruses without vitamin D.5 Vitamin D essentially activates these cells and supercharges your immunity. So soak up at least 20 minutes of sun a day. And eat vitamin-D-rich foods like cod liver oil, eggs, milk and orange juice fortified with vitamin D, sardines, tuna, beef liver and Swiss cheese. Or you can supplement. I recommend at least 2,000 I.U.
- Eat foods rich in Vitamin C. Eat plenty of citrus fruits, broccoli, beef steak and oysters. This will help you maintain a super strong immune system. You also can take supplements. I recommend 2,000 mg daily.
- Add some immune-boosting herbs
- Garlic is one of nature’s best germ killers.
- Oregano oil and turmeric help prevent viruses and ease cold symptoms.
- Green tea contains anti-bacterial properties.
- Get plenty of rest. You need six to eight hours of sleep each day. By losing sleep, you rob your immune system of the energy it needs to fight infection, and you’ll catch more colds and flu viruses.
- Exercise. Get some each day but don’t go overboard. Too much exercise can actually stress the body and weaken your immunity. Twenty minutes a day of varied intensity exercise is all you need.
- Google chiropractic and immune system for fun… many people see improved overall immune function when getting regular chiropractic adjustments.
- Limit the amount of sugar in your diet! Studies have shown that sugar depresses yourimmune system. Foods to avoid would be the added sugar to your coffee, any sodayou drink, sweetened drinks with a high sugar reading, any type of candy,alcoholic beverages and any white flour products.
- Drink more water!
- Also, don’t forget - wash your hands frequently.
- If you use natural things, then you’ll love using naturaldisinfectants like essential oils that FIGHT viruses (things like: eucalyptus,lemon, lavender, and tea tree oil are the most popular and should be usedduring the flu season).
Dr. Tony Garrow is a local chiropractor located at 2204 Hwy. 35, Sea Girt, NJ. You can visit him on the web at garrowchiropractic.com or on facebook at www.facebook.com/garrowchiropractic or youtube channel: tonygarrow1.